Slotted content in Eleventy
· Fill slots in an HTML layout with chunks of Markdown content.
Sass in Eleventy, with versioning
· Adding support for
.scssfiles, complete with content hashes.
Line-height tricks made simpler with the ‘lh’ CSS unit
· Three old CSS techniques made new with the line-height unit.
Why do mobile browsers share canonical URLs?
· And the case for them to revisit.
Get useful input values with formDataMap()
· A utility function inspired by the FormData DOM interface.
My favorite records from 2022
· Fourty-eight albums I've enjoyed this year.
Relational data in Eleventy
· A pattern for handling many-to-many relationships.
This website uses a variable font
· How hours of debugging can save minutes of reading, and more takeaways from sprucing up the type on this website.
Sizing images based on their aspect ratio
· Make images visually uniform with the
Button type matters, after all
· A button is a button until it's a submit button.
Observe an element's focus-within state
:focus-withinas a DOM event.
My favorite records from 2021
· It's Yeti Season!
Pinch me, I'm zooming: gestures in the DOM
· A deep-dive on panning and pinch-zooming using wheel, touch, and gesture DOM events.
On some features in Safari 15
· A look at what changed since the beta was first announced.
How it's made: Watch/Star/Fork
· My workflow from browser tabs to Markdown.
How I digitize books
· A workflow for getting digital text out of printed material.
My favorite records from 2020
· A sampler of what I liked, or found interesting, in 2020.
A little npm head-scratcher
· Tracking down a puzzling bug taught me a few things on how
Make PNG font samples with ImageMagick
· Putting words on pictures from the command line.
My favorite records from 2019
· Don't break the streak.
Prevent history navigation on horizontally-scrolling elements with CSS
overscroll-behaviorproperty to the rescue from an annoying browser behavior.
Prevent the need to zoom into inputs with CSS
· A neat little use-case for the
Making sense of units in CSS Media Queries (in the year 2019)
· Building the case for
ems in media queries.
A CSS-only layout debugger
· How to draw element boxes on hover using just CSS.
See more articles in the archive.
An occasional, lightly-edited review of web development news, open-source finds and minutiae. Read all Watch/Star/Fork issues, or jump to the latest: